Employment Law Attorneys
Defense firm protects the resources and reputation of employers in Washington, DC
Employers routinely face discrimination, harassment and other claims by current employees, unsuccessful job applicants and former employees. The attorneys at Douglas & Boykin PLLC provide proactive guidance to head off such claims. When litigation does arise, however, the firm is experienced in mounting an aggressive defense.
Common types of employment-related lawsuits
If you have a dispute with an employee, Douglas & Boykin’s employment law attorneys create a strategy to effectively defend you. Common employment claims include:
- Discrimination — Federal law prohibits job discrimination based on gender, race, age, disability, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, and religion. If your business is the target of a discrimination claim, you face an investigation by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and possible litigation. Douglas & Boykin provides sound advice to employers about nondiscriminatory hiring, firing, raises, and promotions. When an investigation or lawsuit does ensue, the firm takes swift action to defend you and, when appropriate, negotiate a settlement.
- Hostile work environment — A typical hostile work environment claim involves allegations that an employer or supervisor explicitly or implicitly condoned harassment in the workplace. Harassment can include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature. Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s gender. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.
- Retaliation — Employees sometimes claim they were demoted, fired or not promoted because they openly opposed illegal acts by the employer or exercised a protected right. Douglas & Boykin helps employers devise policies and procedures that can be used to combat retaliation claims.
- Wrongful termination — Claims for wrongful termination are often based on allegations that the employee was fired for filing a workers’ compensation claim, opposing illegal business practices, or refusing to perform an illegal act. The firm’s attorneys help employers implement procedures for documenting the legitimate reasons for terminating an employee.
- Douglas & Boykin strives to resolve employment disputes outside the courtroom. Settlements are not only cost-effective; they are confidential. However, if litigation proves necessary, Douglas & Boykin’s trial attorneys aggressively defend your business.
Schedule a consultation with experienced employment law attorneys
Douglas & Boykin PLLC defends Washington, DC employers against employment-related lawsuits and advises businesses on how to avoid such claims. Contact us at 202-753-0042 or online to schedule your appointment. Douglas & Boykin serves the entire Washington metropolitan area, which includes Northern Virginia and Maryland.