Washington, DC Family Lawyers Protect Your Interests
Family law advocacy and counseling when you need them most
When you are dealing with family law issues such as divorce, separation, and child support, it is important to have a lawyer on your side to keep your best interests and well-being in mind. Family law can be a complicated area of litigation, because there is a high level of sensitivity on both sides of a case. With the help of Douglas & Boykin PLLC, you can find representation to let you achieve a favorable outcome in your case in the Washington, D.C. area. Keep reading to learn more about the practice area of family law and the reasons you will want to hire representation.
Why Hire a Family Lawyer in DC?
In any area of law, hiring a lawyer will provide you with insight and expertise that will help you navigate the legal system and understand your options for a particular case. With family law specifically, your lawyer may be a valuable asset in terms of an unbiased viewpoint that will help you achieve a settlement that considers the best interest of children or elderly family members who may be involved in your situation.
What Are the Practice Areas of Family Law?
There are many different legal matters where Douglas & Boykin can provide you with mediation, litigation, and legal paperwork. Here’s a closer look at the practice areas where our team specializes.
- Divorce – There are many factors that can complicate a divorce, including prenuptial agreements, spousal support disputes, infidelity, and other issues involving division of assets. Our attorneys can ensure a reasonable agreement for your case, and we will work to avoid going to trial to reduce your stress and the timeline of your separation.
- Same-sex divorce – the District of Columbia has taken steps to assist nonresident same-sex couples who were married in Washington, DC. Douglas & Boykin PLLC is prepared to guide same-sex couples through the divorce process in Washington, DC.
- Legal separation – Unlike divorce, a legal separation does not dissolve your marriage. You remain married and cannot remarry during a legal separation. The firm is ready to help you explore your options.
- Child custody – It can be difficult to set aside personal issues to decide what type of arrangement is best for your child in a separation. Determining child support may also be part of a child custody agreement.
- Child support – The District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia have established child support guidelines for determining the amount of child support to be paid by the noncustodial parent.
- Prenuptial and postnuptia – Under District of Columbia law, a premarital agreement is a contract between prospective spouses or domestic partners that’s made in contemplation of a marriage or a domestic partnership.
- Cohabitation agreements – Many couples will choose to live together without getting married, and in these situations a cohabitation agreement can help you avoid common law marriage in Washington, D.C., determine the division of assets upon separation, or divide debt between partners.
- Asset division – Douglas & Boykin’s family law attorneys are diligent in demanding full financial disclosure from your spouse and fighting for your interests throughout the divorce process.
- Spousal support – If you expect to receive spousal support, you should keep in mind that a bigger support obligation is not always better — if the support payments are unrealistic, there’s a greater risk of default, or nonpayment.
- Post-decree modifications – Situations can change and cause your spousal support or child custody arrangement to become outdated. Our team can help you adapt to new circumstances with post-decree modifications to your divorce.
- Wills and power of attorney – You may need to seek the help of a family lawyer to manage your estate or the assets of an elderly loved one. In some cases, it may be appropriate to have power of attorney for an aging parent or relative who may not be capable of managing his or her own finances or medical care.
The family law attorneys at Douglas & Boykin PLLC are prepared to assist you with all aspects of a divorce. Contact the firm at 202-753-0042 or online to schedule an appointment. Douglas & Boykin’s office is located near Metro stops at Farragut North, Dupont Circle (Red Line), and Farragut West (Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines).